HISTORY

BLUE POINT, NEW YORK
USA

Blue Point is part of the Brookhaven Patent from King Charles II, first settled by people in Setauket in 1655. Bayport in Islip is separated from Blue Point in Brookhaven Town by Namkee Creek.

The southwest part of Brookhaven where Blue Point is located was not settled by the early colonists, and in 1664 Governor Winthrop of Connecticut purchased from Tobaccus, chief sachem of the Unkechaug Indians, all the land on the south shore from Blue Point to Bellport, and extending north to the middle of the island. This purchase was confirmed by a Patent from Edmund Adros, governor of Colonial New York, in 1680.

In 1752, a Humphret Avery, from New London, Connecticut purchased what is now Blue Point and Patchogue, from the Winthrop family, for 2600 pounds (about $6000 in today's money).

Humphrey Avery was in need of money to pay his debts, and received permission from the governor to sell his land in a Lottery. The property was divided into 36 plots. 8000 lottery tickets were printed selling at 30 shillings each. The lottery was widely advertised. The drawing was made in June 1758 and was such a success that Avery was not only able to pay off all his debts, but he also bought back Blue Point and parts of Patchogue.

The oldest dwelling in Blue Point is the old Joseph Avery homestead built in 1812 on the north side of what is now Middle Road just west of Boylan Lane.

The name Blue Point is supposed to have originated from the bluish haze that settles over the point of land extending into the bay at Blue Point.

During the Revolution the harbor at Blue Point was a major shipping point for British vessels to send to New York, lumber, food, and other supplies that they obtained from this part of Long Island. The British ships in Blue Point were raided several times by American rebels from Connecticut.

In 1815 Mr. Avery planted some oyster seed in the bay bottom off Blue Point. They turned out to be quite plentiful and the best tasting oysters in the bay and were much desired. Soon all oysters in the bay came to be called Blue Points. An interesting by-product of the Blue Point Oysters is their tough shells which were used to pave early country roads that joined the many farming communities along the South Shore.

The oldest church is the Baptist Church built in 1865. The first school was built in 1871. Blue Point and Bayport became one school district in 1952.

When the railroad came through Blue Point in 1869, Blue Point became a very popular summer resort. Among the large hotels were the South Bay House, now the Ursuline Home, the Avery Five Mile Look on the bay, with a popular bathing beach, the Monterey Hotel and the Hallett House, and the Bayport House, now a Nursing Home.



                                         







                       

    

 

 

                




Return to Class 61 Index