REMEMBERING THE MANHATTAN HOUSE
Before the Manhattan House was built around
1878 it was the site of the 2nd schoolhouse.
The school soon became too small and was sold and moved to the Northeast-corner of Bayport Ave & Middle Road.
The building became William Mantha Auto Repair and Machine Shop-in 1907.
The Manhattan House was originally residence
and store, by 1885 the building was leased by
Charles Kroll for use as a hotel, bar and restaurant.
The Manhattan House was one of the oldest running taverns in Suffolk County.
Just to the left (westside) was the local barbershop.
Return to Front Page